small brush shouldn't fuck with big timber

Death's Door, the view from the Spanish announcers table: blast from the past.............missing Cat

Thursday, August 23

blast from the past.............missing Cat



I’m sad; I think I miss my cat. Oh and yeah, Cat was what I named him.

Whenever I hear the Counting Crows song “Long December” I can’t help thinking of all the good times me and Cat had together.

We had the strangest relationship I think. We were together over twelve years you know. When I first got Cat he was so small that he used to sleep in my hand at night.

As he was growing up one of our favorite games was called “slide the kitty”.

That’s when I’d grab him and roll em into a ball and slide his ass clear to the other end of the apartment like a hockey puck.

It was so funny, he’d bounce into the far wall and come running back to me and we’d do it all over again.

Then there was the day I saved Cat's life.

I woke up one summer morning and felt this trashing around at the end of the bed. Cat had bitten into the air-conditioner power cord just hard enough to get a shock. I actually had to kick him loose. He never was right after that.

After six months or so I took him to the vet to get denutted. Poor muthafucker, the car trip terrified his ass something bad. And when I got him home till the day he left me Cat never let me out of his sight.

Even after I started locking him out of my bedroom at night I could see his paws sticking out from under the bedroom door. But I had to start locking him out; ever since I got him fixed he wouldn’t stop staring at me.

And since I sleep butt nekked I didn’t want him seeking revenge on my ball-sac whilst I slept at night. He’d do it too you know.

But we loved sitting on the couch watching TV.

I’d yak at him and he’d just lie there content as all hell. You knew I had it bad when before I’d go out I’d spend at least fifteen minutes picking out something on the TV for Cat to watch while I was gone.

We even made the weird section of the newspaper one year. This reporter found out about this trick we had. It was so weird that I had to show to the guy before he would believe it.

Back then I was out of town a lot for the Man and what I’d do was to call my phone from any phone I was at. I’d get my answering machine and I’d leave a message for Cat.

As soon as I hung up my government phone it’ll start ringing and I’d pick it up. On the other end would be Cat meowing his ass off. The best that we could figure what happened was this.

Whenever I’d call my machine Cat would freak as soon as he heard my voice and go jumping all over it.

For some reason on that particular machine if you hit the speaker button it would somehow call back the last number it received.

Thus I would get a call from Cat sayin “hey muthafucker, come home”! Hey, it got us in the fuckin paper.

Cat’s been gone for what, seven or eight years? I want another cat but I’m not sure if I want to go thru that heartache all over again.


"and the monkey flipped the switch"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah they'll break your heart, but it's always worth it. I know someone who needs to give away two grown cats because his wife's allergic to them. Let me know if you're interested...

10:01 AM  
Blogger B. said...

Yeah I know a guy trying to give away a couple of kittens, too. I've always noticed when I've lost a dog that I go in hoping that this dog will be as cool as the last...but then you just start loving different things about the new one and it becomes just as good...I'm a dog guy. Is this treason?

I think I wet myself during that one though, fucker...think it was the revenge on the sack part...I could see myself doing the same thing.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Danny said...

< end of long time lurker mode >
Cats are great!
unfortunately my cat lives with my aunt now, because I moved countries and couldn't take her. Best thing that happened to my aunt and my cat.
Don't get me wrong, I did take good care of my cat, but I know she receives much more attention now than I was ever able to give her.
< /end of long time lurker mode >

3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home